December 31, 2009

Cutting remarks and New Year wishes


It is a truth universally acknowledged that a guy's view of the world varies in direct proportion to the functionality of his chain saw (I'm being literal, in case there are any underemployed Freudians out there). El Cabrero has spent a good bit of this week fighting with those devices. If I make another trip to the saw shop, they're going to think I'm stalking them.

But, for today anyhow, at least one saw worked.

This is newsworthy since I am a mechanical idiot and have bad machine karma. I'm sure there's a scientific reason for this. My pet theory is that I offended the Greek god Hephaestus at some point in this or a previous life. He has jurisdiction over such things. I should probably make some kind of offering, preferably not one inflicted by said chain saw.

At any event, have a happy 2010 and may all your chain saws start on the first pull.

Regular semi-serious posts to resume on Monday.

URGENT SOPRANOS UPDATE. It looks like Netflix and or the Postal Service stiffed me for a day so I may not complete my New Year's Week resolution to finish the last season of the Sopranos before the Spousal Unit returns. It almost makes me want to whack somebody.

LEFTOVERTURE. I'm still slacking, but here's the latest edition of the Rev. Jim Lewis' Notes from Under the Fig Tree. It's a New Year's edition filled with leftovers and brains.

AND ON A POSITIVE NOTE, here is an encouraging tale of friendship under fire from the Middle East.

GOAT ROPE ADVISORY LEVEL: ELEVATED

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I don not own a chainsaw. which is good because I'd probably cut off one of my own limbs if I did.

As for the coming year, El Cabrero, my friend, I offer a bit of Celtic blessing:

May 2010 bring you
Walls for the wind
And a roof for the rain,
And drinks bedside the fire
Laughter to cheer you
And those you love near you,
And all that your heart may desire.

Hollowdweller said...

Stilhs not working??

Amazing!!!

Hollowdweller said...

Saintly Nick,

Speaking of cutting things off although I've chainsawed a LOT, the only severe wood cutting injury I have sustained is when I was using a one man crosscut saw and it jumped the cut and I sawed into my other hand.

I used to have this buddy that fainted at the sight of his own blood. One time we were in college in Timber Harvesting class and he got the chainsaw too close to his leg, and cut thru his jeans and the moving chain barely scraped his skin.

From a distance we see him fall backward and drop the chainsaw. Thought he was having a seizure or something. We always watched him anytime he was sharpening his knife after that ;-)

Anonymous said...

just for the record, i have personally witnessed El Cabrero slice his hand with an electronic hedge clipper, so despite his seemly failed attempts with the chainsaw, IT IS an accomplishment that everytime he uses a chainsaw he escapes uninjuried, at least physically...and to this point