June 17, 2008
THOUGHTS ON DINOSAUR MANAGEMENT
Recent scientific discoveries point more and more to the evolutionary connection between dinosaurs and birds (search the Goat Rope archives for more). And the contemporary animal that shows up in articles about the above is the peacock.
Not long ago, there was an announcement that some dinosaurs had feathers, along with speculation that these performed the same display functions that you see in peafowl. Recent DNA tests have found that the tyrannosaurus had more genes in common with peafowl and chickens than with crocodiles and Komodo dragons.
Based on those premises, here are El Cabrero's thoughts on what you need to know about keeping dinosaurs.
1. Dinosaurs are LOUD. Especially in the summer when thoughts turn to love.
2. Dinosaurs are all about showing off. Especially the guys. (Note: they may not have a monopoly on this.) But they dress casually in the off-season.
3. Dinosaurs are kind of smart but really emotional when their hormones are ramped up. Sometimes boy dinosaurs get jealous of each other and chase each other around like a scene from the Benny Hill Show. But they can be really parental--even the dads (when the chicks are little).
4. Dinosaurs like to take dust baths.
5. Dinosaurs like to walk around and pick at things, but they usually sleep in pretty much the same places given the opportunity.
6. Dinosaurs are all about courtship, except for the chicken-related branches, for which consent is not required.
7. Dinosaurs read entirely too much sociobiology.
One final word about peacocks from the realm of religion. In a book I recently read on Buddhism, I was reminded that Prince Siddhartha grew up in a palace complete with peacocks in the garden. Now I know why he left home...
All I really wanted was a cat.
TOOL KIT for extreme inequality is here, by way of The Nation.
RISING FOOD PRICES are forcing many agencies to cut nutritional corners.
SEX ON THE BRAIN. Scientists have found a possible link between sexual orientation and brain symmetry.
URGENT ANCIENT GIANT MARSUPIAL WOMBAT UPDATE here.
IF IT SOUNDS LIKE THE MOTHER SHIP IS HOVERING OUTSIDE, must be cicadas.
ONE FOR THE ROAD. El Cabrero is about to hit the road for a while. Goat Rope, like the show, must go on, but without links about current events.
GOAT ROPE ADVISORY LEVEL: ELEVATED