June 18, 2008

MAYBE DOWN IN MEXICO OR A PICTURE UPON SOMEBODY'S SHELF


Coptic icon of Jonah, courtesy of wikipedia. Looks more like a carp than a whale to me. And I've seen some almost big enough to swallow a person.

El Cabrero is about to head south of the border for the next several days, but fear not--your daily dose of Goat Rope will continue, minus the links and comments about current events.

Since I'll have limited internet access, allow me to say in advance that I extend my condolences if anything really bad happens and congratulations if anything really good happens.

Otherwise, the theme for this stretch of time is the Goat Rope Vacation Bible School. I've been thinking a lot about the short but charming book of Jonah lately, which is rich in story, associations, and humor, and I'd like to explore it in a non-sectarian manner.

Here's part of the reason for the timing. A good friend of mine who is a regular reader of this blog breaks out in hives anytime I discuss the Bible or religion. But, since this person is going on the same trip, I should be able to get away with it.

Stay tuned.

GOAT ROPE ADVISORY LEVEL: ELEVATED

No comments: