June 11, 2014

More on food

At this stage in my life, I didn't expect to focus on things like school food any more, but there you have it. As I mentioned in yesterday's post, folks around the country are pushing to get more schools to feed all students for free by taking advantage of the federal Community Eligibility Provision.

That's not the only thing going on in the food for kids arena these days. First, here's the good news: WV is once again kicking off the summer food service program at over 400 sites in the state. As my friend Rick Goff, head of the state Office of Child Nutrition says, "hunger doesn't take a summer vacation."

The bad news is that Republicans in the US House want to gut nutritional standards for school food programs. As in hello to more salt, fat, processed food and high fructose corn syrup.

I'm not sure what circle in hell my good friend Dante would put such people in, but I imagine it would be a really nasty one.

No comments: