Holy chaos theory, Batman! WV politics just got even weirder. It goes something like this:
1. WV state senator Daniel Hall once ran for the WV House as a Republican. He lost.
2. He then ran as a Democrat and won. Twice.
3. Then he was elected as a Democrat to the WV Senate.
4. After the 2014 elections, when the WV senate was tied 17-17, he switched back to being a Republican.
5. As of today, he announced his resignation from the senate in early 2016.
Y'all getting this so far?
So the question is, who gets to name his replacement? He was an R after the election but was elected as a D. State law seems to be a bit ambiguous, but it seems to me the fairest way is to honor the results of the last election.
This could potentially rewrite the landscape of the 2016 legislature. Or not.
This is yet another reason why I think the WV state motto should be changed from "Mountaineers are always free" to "You can't make this **** up."
Read more here.
This will be one to watch.