December 14, 2010

Passing from nature to eternity

A death in the family just happened, a favorite aunt who made it nearly to age 90 before coming down with pneumonia. Her husband, who served in the Navy during World War II, preceded her in death.

I always liked that side of the family and enjoyed visiting them as a kid, including all the cousins. They lived in the BIG city of Columbus three hours distant, a place of almost unimaginable magnitude to someone growing up in my part of West Virginia. I always stayed in their basement, which incidentally used to have a well-stocked bar which I may or may not have been known to raid.

Columbus also had these places called malls, unheard of in WV at the time, where, if I played my cards right, I might be able to get a karate book. It also had a certain hamburger chain famous for their small sized burgers, a kind of nutritional crack upon which I still feed whenever I can.

I have many fond memories of her and her family. I wish her well on her journey and send my best to those who remain.

I was told that one of the last things she said was that she had seen her father and mother, who passed decades ago. Her husband, a day before his death, saw his deceased brother. It makes you wonder.

ANOTHER LOSS. From Ken Ward's Coal Tattoo, here's a moving profile of one of the miners who died in Massey's Upper Big Branch mine disaster.

TWO SIDES. It looks like the US Senate moved fast on the unemployment/tax cut deal. Here are two opposing takes on the deal and the dealer. Most groups that I trust on this issue hate the high end tax cuts but support the unemployment extension and are hoping the House makes a better deal.

WELL OFF, but empathy-impaired.

MY STARS. Here's a look at America's cult of the celebrity.

ME ME ME. Here's a look at narcissism.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

On empathy impairment--I recall that women were once supposed to be more empathetic and sensitive than men, so when there started to be female bosses and CEOs, there was an expectation that this would be better for employees. Didn't happen. I would say, rather than the well off "not needing help" that they simply don't need to give a turd how their employees, wives, or slaves feel. Thus the shock so many people felt when their slaves chose to leave at the end of the Civil War--they thought they had a warm relationship with their house niggers, who knew all about the Master's and Mistress's feelings, of necessity--but the latter had no reason to care how their slaves felt, so they told themselves little fairy stories. Never needed to know the reality. And once women got into powerful positions where they didn't really need to stay attuned to underlings' feelings--well...

Cousin Barb said...

Scott sent me the link to read todays post. I told you he is a better person than me ~ he reads you every day.
Anyhow, loved what you had to say. Too bad we all live so far apart; we always do have fun when we get together. I had a horrible day today; with Christmas so close, it makes things worse, that's for sure.......

Jeffrey said...

Hi Rick,

I am sorry to hear about your aunt. Aunts like those are definitely connectors to family and a way of life long past.