February 25, 2010

Give me that man that is not passion's slave


Goat Rope is still meandering through Hamlet, although you can skip down to the links section if this isn't your thing.

Horatio, Hamlet's true friend, is one of the most admirable characters in this play. A poor scholar, older than his friend, he is a stand in for the audience as witness to Hamlet's verbal gymnastics. Hamlet does give him great praise not just as a good friend but as one who deals with whatever life throws at him with equanimity.

Here's what he had to say:

Since my dear soul was mistress of her choice
And could of men distinguish, her election
Hath seal'd thee for herself; for thou hast been
As one, in suffering all, that suffers nothing,
A man that fortune's buffets and rewards
Hast ta'en with equal thanks: and blest are those
Whose blood and judgment are so well commingled,
That they are not a pipe for fortune's finger
To sound what stop she please. Give me that man
That is not passion's slave, and I will wear him
In my heart's core, ay, in my heart of heart,
As I do thee.


I've never quite had that ability.

GAME ON. Here's NPR on what is at stake in President Obama's health care summit today.

HONEY, WE SHRUNK THE LABOR FORCE. The latest snapshot from the Economic Policy Institute shows that people are leaving the labor force in large numbers in the wake of the recession.

A PLEA FOR THE TEACHING OF LABOR HISTORY is here.

POLITICAL DEMOGRAPHICS. Americans under age 30 lean towards progressive politics.

GOAT ROPE ADVISORY LEVEL: ELEVATED

No comments: