July 01, 2008

MURAL, MURAL, ON THE WALL...


Diego Rivera's murals at the Secretaría de Educación Pública in Mexico City.

El Cabrero has been aware of Diego Rivera's murals for years, but I was surprised how impressive they were when you get to see the real thing. Duh, I guess it's that way with most things.

I'm sure the Mexican government wasn't all that delighted at the time to see his more revolutionary work on its official walls (the really hot ones are on the third level), but I guess they were good sports about it.

Before we get down to today's business, here are a few that struck me.



This must be the commie Buddha we ordered.



Frida arms the proletariat.



Let us sing of land and freedom.



Meanwhile the rich folks party on.



One of my favorites was this Wall Street banquet, where the elite feast on the stock market ticker. Some things change, some don't...

THE BIG ECONOMIC SQUEEZE. A new poll shows that 9 out of 10 Americans are feeling it.

LOSING OUT. African Americans have been among the hardest hit by the housing and predatory lending crisis, as this Nation article attests. According to United for a Fair Economy, the wealth loss for people of color is estimated to be between $164 and $213billion dollars, about half of the total loss for the country.

YOU DON'T NEED A WEATHERMAN to know climate change and extreme weather are connected.

APPALACHIA REDISCOVERED. I don't know about y'all, but I get nervous every time that happens. Here's Newsweek again on the subject.

GOAT ROPE ADVISORY LEVEL: ELEVATED

No comments: