July 19, 2013

Gratuitous book and film plug


Image by way of wikipedia.

A while back, I read a strange, dreamlike post-modern novel that interlaced several related stories over a period of time stretching from the mid 1800s to centuries in the future. If that rings any bells, the Gentle Reader is already thinking of British author David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas.

When I  heard a couple of years ago that someone was making a movie version I didn't think it could be done. I was wrong. The film was as dreamlike as the book. Different of course as it 's a different medium. But I'd say the filmmakers did it right.

There is a kind of Mahayana Buddhist tone to the whole that that is more explicit in the film than the book about how cause and effect ripple out through time with never ending consequences. Two other themes are love and rebellion, which aren't bad.

For what it's worth, I'd recommend both. But both take work. I think I'm going to wind up revisiting both.

ATTEMPTED SABOTAGE. Here's a good Gazette editorial on the Affordable Care Act.

SPEAKING OF WHICH, if you live in WV, click here to learn more about how to help thousands of uninsured state residents sign up for health care next year.

FOOD STAMPS. Here's a story about the latest attack on this program and what it could mean for people in West Virginia, where around 1 in 5 rely on them.

GOAT ROPE ADVISORY LEVEL: ELEVATED

No comments: