April 24, 2012

Speaking in a foreign tongue

For the longest time, learning a foreign language seemed like an insuperable obstacle for me. I started with Latin in high school, but our teach specialized in telling stories about her life rather than the language in question. Then I tried French more than once in college. I really admired many French writers but it seemed at the time (and still kinda does) that the pronunciation system in that language was an elaborate practical joke.

As I mentioned before, eventually I made more progress with Spanish, although I adopted drastic means which I wouldn't recommend to everyone. To wit, I married a Spanish teacher.

Anyway, I got a lot out of it, aside from a new collection of cuss words and the ability to drive native Spanish speakers to tears in a matter of minutes. I think learning a new language does something new and kind of cool to the brain.

And here's some scientific evidence for that.

Que bueno.

99% SPRING AND EVERYTHING AFTER discussed here.

CALLING BS. Here's my friend Ken Ward at Coal Tattoo calling for just a little tiny bit of truth and rationality on coal issues. Holy Kantian heteronomy, Batman!

WANT BUGS? Check here.

GOAT ROPE ADVISORY LEVEL: ELEVATED

No comments: