January 16, 2012

A song that came to mind

Sitting through my beloved state of West Virginia's official celebration of Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday, which really had some great and unexpected moments, I couldn't help thinking about some of the lyrics of Phil Ochs' song Crucifixion, which, as the title implies, is a bit of a downer.

For Ochs, it was a song about Christ, about King himself, and maybe about a Kennedy or two. But it's also about how we somehow like to neutralize the threats posed by some people who shake things up and turn those who were dangerous in life to something harmless but fascinating in death--while we get off on the drama of it all.

Here's a link to the lyrics (although I heard I line or two differently).

ON THE VIRTUE OF NOT STAYING QUIET. Here's Krugman on Dr. King's legacy today--and what we can learn from it.

A CHANCE FOR A GOOD BILL? For the last few years, I've worked with friends to try to pass a bill that would begin to address racial disparities in WV. This article makes it sound like something might happen this year. Would that it were so.

GOAT ROPE ADVISORY LEVEL: ELEVATED



2 comments:

Hollowdweller said...

That was the song that hooked me on Phil Ochs.

However the wife absolutely hates him so I have to play him when she's not around.

I always wondered if the chorus makes reference to the Acts of John.

El Cabrero said...

I need to read Acts of John. I have the whole Nag Hammadi collection but haven't gotten through it.

I love Crucifixion and The Bells among others. Some of his songs are too preachy. I'd have to say Dylan was the greater artist though.