January 13, 2010

Round about the cauldron go


Painting by William Rimmer by way of Wikipedia.

I've always subscribed to the view that a mind is a terrible thing not to mess with--especially a young one. This was inherited from my late father, who read a lot of Poe to me when I was a little kid, scaring the bejesus out of me to my immense delight.

When my turn came, I attempted to pass on that tradition by reading aloud and making my kids listen to all kinds of things that are not standard kiddie fair. Depending on their age, these have included things like the poetry of William Blake and Franz Kafka's Metamorphosis, about which they said things like, "Let me get this straight: this guy just got turned into a giant bug and he's worried about being late for work?"

Shakespeare found its way into the unofficial curriculum by means of a comic book full text edition of Macbeth. Both kids were fond of it, but it was a particular favorite of my oldest, who had large sections of it memorized at an early age. The witches of course were a particular favorite, but she also liked things like "tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow."

There is something endearing about hearing a little kid go around babbling "Thrice the brinded cat hath mewed..."

JOBS, JOBS, JOBS. Here's more from the AFLCIO blog on the need for jobs and what the US Senate can do about it.

ARE YOU FEELING APOCALYPTIC? Lots of people are.

NEANDERTHALS may have been smarter (and more artistic) than we thought.

URGENT BIG SPIDER UPDATE here.

GOAT ROPE ADVISORY LEVEL: ELEVATED

2 comments:

Hollowdweller said...

You brought back great memories.

When I was a kid my dad would read us stories and poems from his college English book as bedtime stories.

I think our favorite was The Highwayman and The Purist.

The tell tale heart was another one but the one that scared us and we were unable to go to bed after he read was The Monkeys Paw. Scared the sh*t out of us.

Re: Neo Ander could they be the real life inspiration for the Giants in the bible that were allegedly the offspring of the Nephilim ?

El Cabrero said...

I don't think I know The Highwayman or The Purist. Should I go back?

Re: Neanders. I don't know. Some people think the Greeks got the idea for the cyclopes from fossils, especially those of mammoths and elephants, which apparently look like they have one eye.

The Athenians found some big bones around the 5th century BC and claimed they belonged to Theseus.