March 14, 2006

WAL-MART LOOKS FOR LOVE IN BLOGOSPHERE

Last week, an interesting article appeared in the New York Times about our old friend Wal-Mart. I meant to write about it at the time, but was consumed by the campaign to raise the you-know-what.

It seems that Wal-Mart is looking for love in the world of blogging. This is probably due to some bad publicity and legislation passed in Maryland and proposed around the country which would require the giant retailer to spend more on employee health care or pay states the difference. The company has been sending pro-company messages to bloggers in an effort to boost its image. And some have been using them, sometimes word for word.

According to the article, “Wal-Mart is increasingly looking beyond the mainstream media and working directly with bloggers, feeding them exclusive nuggets of news, suggesting topics for postings and even inviting them to visit its corporate headquarters.”

Apparently the company has not been directly paying bloggers to say nice things about it. That’s too bad because, while I’m opposed to crass materialism, the goats are almost out of the alfalfa cubes they like and good hay. Still, it might be worth a shot. Here goes:

I LOVE WAL-MART

I love Wal-Mart. I think it’s great that they’ve gotten around a billion dollars in subsidies from state and local governments that otherwise might have been wasted on education, infrastructure, and human services. I especially like the fact that my beloved state of West Virginia has given the company millions in subsides so that it could run local companies out of business.

And that Wal-Mart store in Canada that they shut down because the workers wanted to join a union—that was just awesome. I am especially proud that the largest private employer in my state and nation with around $300 billion in annual sales pays so little in benefits and wages that states pick up the tab with public assistance programs. I’m also really glad that the company has been messing with around employees at the Nitro, WV. They were probably spoiled anyway.
(http://www.sundaygazettemail.com/section/News/Valley%20&%20State/2006031117)

The End

Excuse me while I check the mailbox. I’ll be right back…

Nothing there. OK. They had their chance and blew it. It’s on again.

GOAT ROPE ADVISORY LEVEL: ELEVATED

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I join the paen to Wal-Mart. Let's see--prices made low by job exportation and citizen subsidized health care. "Here", says the helpful Wal-Mart HR person,"let me help you fill out those forms." How much was that cheap tee shirt?